Friday, April 6, 2012

Don't Spend It All In One Place

"Ah, man. Are these the new hundreds? Lame."
Money, Money, Money, Mah-nay! Mah-naaaaaay!

Yeah, relax. This treasury note is worth about as much as The Death of Superman Comic (zing! nerd joke). It's a reproduction note that's made to look old. If it was real it wouldn't have those margins...and say "copy" at the bottom right. That's fairly glaring.

Still, I got a little excited when I found it. It was tucked away inside an older Civil War book (which, I'm positive, added to said excitement) and when you're used to finding news clippings, subscription cards, and Borders bookmarks, anything with a slight variance can send even the most even keeled of men into an unabashed frenzy. Can anyone say "easily excitable?" I can't. I don't know the meaning of the words.

What's interesting about this reproduction is that there was supposedly a need to make the reproduction. Is it possible that the want to collect Virginia Treasury Notes became so great that it warranted the printing of cheap look-a-likes? It's doubtful. If I had to guess, I'd say that this note (and others like it) was sold off the impulse rack at the local Civil War gift shop. It's an item that's aimed at a certain group and not mass marketed to the general population. Your local big box chain will only sell these if they're printed on a pencil. Similarly, you may also find these at Historical Societies, coin shops, and on the interwebs.

Or in old books, I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment