Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Don't Do This

Act I

A man sets foot inside a gigantic bookstore and looks around quizzically before walking upstage to a wooden, sales counter. A lonely bookman is seated behind a desk that is piled high with all different types of books. Music, by Vivaldi, is playing faintly in the background. These two men are the only two people in the store, at present. 


Man (forcefully) : You buy books?

Bookman : That depends. What kind of books have you got?

     The Man reaches into his backpack and removes a very good condition History book. 


Man : Interested?

Bookman (without hesitation): No, I'm sorry. We're only interested in local history at the moment.

Man : Come on, man? Ten bucks? Cheap.

Bookman : No, I'm sorry.

Man : Come on?! Five bucks? Pause Two bucks?

Bookman : I'm not interested right now.

Man (angrily) : Well, what the hell am I supposed to do with this?

Bookman : Have you already read the book?

Man : No.

Bookman : You could read it.

Man : I don't want to read it. Looks around, frantic You got a garbage can?

Bookman (surprise) : What?

Man : I'm just gonna get rid of it.

Bookman : Look, man, what you do with your book is of no business of mine, but I'm not going to let you put it in my trash can.

Man : Why?

Bookman (crying huge tears on the inside) : Just donate it somewhere.

Man : I'm sick of carrying it around.

Bookman (dying inside) : Again, I can't tell you what to do with it, but it is a bit offensive if you throw it away in front of me.

Man : Why?

Bookman (crushing emotions down into a tiny ball) : Numerous reasons. Lots of reasons. Can you please just donate it somewhere?

Man Exits.



I won't always be able to buy your books, but, if you bring a few in and that ends up being the case, please don't threaten to throw them away in front of me. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm a history major, throwing away history. He could have donated it to Buffalo State.

    ReplyDelete