Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Just Passing The Time

It feels like forever since I've updated, and, before I dive into a new post, I would like to welcome my new subscribers. I love coming back to find I'm being read by new faces. Thank you!

"I'm going to resist the urge to tell folks they are 'the bunk'."
Annotations can spell disaster for a collector. A year ago, I sold a 1st Edition of Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow that looked pristine on the outside but contained a full page of annotations on the title page. This, obviously, had an affect on the amount I sold the book for because, as charming as someone's else take on a story can be, thick blue pen marks--unless they're from the author--are considered a blemish. 

Personally, I enjoy finding annotations, and I enjoy it immensely if they have little to do with the content. My example, on the left, is not about a specific passage in the Everyman's Library edition of Cardinal Newman's Theology & Philosophy, but about Newman's writing as a whole. 

This limerick screams 'disenchanted freshman.' Can't you just picture it? Sitting in a lecture hall, listening to a professor wax intellectual about something you have absolutely no interest in. No? Well, I don't believe you. Everyone's had that one subject (or author/or theme) that they just could not get into. Mine was Mathematics (oh, how I wish that wasn't the case), but I am, and have always been, an Art geek. If I ever become famous, the possibility of Algebra books emerging with Eric Mowery artwork scribbled throughout remains great. 


1 comment:

  1. I used to hate Math until the numbers started creeping into my dreams. So I took the bull by the horns, and whilst I can't say I am numbers savvy, I love to spice my cereals and morning coffee with dreadful business numbers. Nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete