Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Lovely Art

 
Today's 'find' is a fine example of the kind of ephemera that makes you want to cast aside all other duties and research it as much as possible.

I found this pamphlet in a very old movie magazine called 'Modern Screen,' and I had never heard of the academy until I came across it just this very morning. The pamphlet isn't dated, but I'm a pretty solid detective, so I can probably figure from whence it was printed.

The date on the magazine is 1943, so I'll use that for a base year. However, it's important to note that this date should only be taken as a suggestion. This pamphlet could have very easily been issued ten years before someone decided to mark a page with it.

Their dress is interesting and very twenties-looking (Sascha's look appears to be that of Rudolph Valentino while Mrs. Sascha's 'bob' gives away her flapper sensibilities), so can I say circa-1920 and be done with it? Not so fast. What I didn't scan in was the duo's International Engagement and Broadway Successes list. They've had gigs in France, Denmark, Spain, etc. and have been featured in shows like 'As You Were' & 'June Bride.' A pretty full roster, if I do say so, and if they offer 'Their Personal Attention' (see: the bit I did scan) then I would assume their popularity would've had to wan somewhat to be able to offer such personal attentiveness.

My best guess? 1930. Circa-1930.

What a great ad. I don't find many pamphlets like this. 'Main Street,' 'Arcadia building,' 'Elevator Service'...all buzz words to peak the interest of local collectors.

Well, maybe not 'elevator service.'

No comments:

Post a Comment