Thursday, December 22, 2011

Made In The Shade

Note to artist: Why the dividing wall? 

Just when you thought it was safe to open up Edmund Vale's The Seas and Shores of England here comes a postcard of epic proportions! And before you think to yourself, "Thank heavens we--as a people--are more sensitive now," might I remind you of the gift card selection at Spencer Gifts? If anything, the cartoon version helps keep it 'cute.' 

But, friends, it's not the illustration that peaks my interest. It's the writing on the wall. Or, rather, the back of the card. 


"Hi Buddie,
     Just a few lines to let you know I quit my job and am in California now. Can't wait till monday. That's when were [sic] coming home. All for now."
                                                                                                        Richie Friedman

Ah, giving the family the ol' 'head's up' via postcard. We still do that today, we just use Status Updates or text messages. 'I quit my job and am in California now.' I love it. The postmark is Burbank October 30th, 1945 so it's after the War and a lot was happening: Hollywood Black Friday began at the beginning of the month, UFO sightings were on the rise, Magnolia Park experienced a housing boom, and The Fonz was born. Well, he wasn't born in Burbank, but he was born on this date.

The beauty is, you can interpret it however you want. Maybe Richie was a motorcycle ridin,' chicken shack-jumping, perfect hair sporting, leather Dynamo? Maybe he just had a really boring job and didn't need the money? Either way, I love the candor.

Eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh...

2 comments:

  1. There were too many comments in my head to be able to remain silent (not a personal strength anyway). Richie graduated Eden High in 1941 (truestory), joined the Navy and had come into LA from the S. Pacific (or some such variation of any Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra movie). Enola and Bockscar (boo) had concluded the pacific conflict just two months before and his 4 years in the military were up, hence the "quit my job" statement, thus he was still en route home from the war. Sigh, I should be a history detective (or watch less TCM). However, my favorite part of this post card is also the inexplicable and unncessary beach wall... Why? And lastly the address. Did you white out the actual address to protect anonymity? Or was the post office Just. That. Good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible, Breezy! And, no, I've done nothing to manipulate the card. Most of what I list is so old that I seldom worry about anonymity.

    ReplyDelete