Friday, February 25, 2011

The Class of '48

I have loads of High School regrets but being a lame yearbook signer is in my top 5. I know that sounds stupid (and, well, it is), but I signed so many yearbooks "Love life with no regrets" which is nothing like me at all. I'm not saying I don't believe in it, but it's not something I'd ever say to anyone in real life. If I could go back, I'd be much more cryptic. "Dear Steph, The keys will always hang on the mantel. I'm sorry the jeans didn't fit, but you're smile makes up for it. Stay Golden." Twenty years from now, when your kids go poking through your yearbook, they won't know what that means. Chances are you won't either, but you might laugh. "Oh, that, Eric Mowery. Always a kidder." 

Today's find comes from Pelham, NY's Class of '48 Yearbook.

"Dear Betty,
     Don't kill to many Boys with those big brown eyes while I'm aw away. Hope your House doesn't burn down
                  Love
                       Bob Peterson
                          alias
                            "Pete"


See? Either Bob was planning ahead for the joke or he was some kind of serial arsonist (also planning ahead).

Unfortunately, I could not find a picture of Betty anywhere in her yearbook. Based on what her classmates were saying, Betty was a stone cold fox and one of the 'swellest' underclassmen at Pelham.

*****************************************************************************
Special Nostalgia Section! 
A time traveling Eric tells High School Eric the things he will regret about his Senior Yearbook if he doesn't make an effort to correct them before it's too late:
  1. Do not wear a Smashing Pumpkins T-Shirt while you have your Senior Picture taken
  2. Do not have all your senior info revolve around Marilyn Manson quotes. 
  3. Do not actually call anyone that writes "Gimme a call sometime!" in the back of your book.
  4. Lose weight
Oh, Youth, you were so entertaining. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I'm supposed to feel special or disappointed that I didn't get a 'Live life with no regrets' signature in my yearbook. lol

    ReplyDelete