Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Swift Hand of Boarded Justice

I don't come across many Skateboarding related items, so when I found this comic devoted to vigilante skateboards I knew it was special.

All I remember about 1989 are the Ninja Turtles and my NES. I kinda-sorta remember some of my older cousins getting bit by the skateboarding bug, but I couldn't be bothered with it. Skateboarding seemed to require an insane amount of balance, coordination, and a fearless attitude when it came to taking off one's shirt. Being a fat kid--who burned like piece of toast--meant that the shirt always stayed on. Always. When this comic was released I was perfectly content playing Skate or Die for my Nintendo and pretending like I knew what "goofy foot" style meant.
     As I hinted at, Shred is about a vigilante skateboarder named...Shred. Duh. And he fights crime by doing sweet tricks off Bad Guy faces. His costume is made up of leather and zippers (seriously. loooot of zippers on this outfit.) and he wears a skull mask to instill fear into the hearts of villains everywhere.  In this particular issue, Shred rescues a girl from her Uzi-toting ex-boyfriend & fights a Cyborg (named Cy-Board) with Dreadlocks. Seriously, he has dreadlocks.
    "Eric, where can I buy this?!"
     Hold on to your interrobang there, friend. It's right here. But I have to warn you: You'll enjoy this much like a Van Damme movie. You buy the thing because you like to laugh at it, but you'll never be able to explain it's presence to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment