Saturday, February 26, 2011

Let's Start Something, or "How I Came To Fear The Metal Cop."

Sometimes I'll use this blog for my own agenda.

As you can see, there are just as many 'item find' posts on here as there are musings from yours truly. 

But we all laugh about them, right?

Despite this blog's infancy, when it began I vowed to keep it free of political agenda. The last thing I want is to upset someone and have them boycott the store because of my beliefs. However, I need to make an exception to this rule. Once. And know that I wouldn't do this unless I felt that it was absolutely warranted. This may seem like a joke. I assure you it's not.

With so much news to follow these days, it's hard to keep up with all of it. Yesterday, I came across an article about a proposed Robocop Statue being erected in Detroit. The article is here if you'd like to read it.
     I felt a little odd after I'd finished reading. I should think this is hilarious, right? It's a story about a group of people whose aim is to create a metal statue in the likeness of a fictional, crime-fighting Robot. So why am I not laughing?

There isn't a single day that goes by where someone doesn't come into this store and complain about the state of things. Gripes about the Economy seem to be the most prevalent topic, but, more specifically, the Economy of Buffalo, New York. And while I generally try to turn the conversation towards the positive aspects of this area, I can't help but agree. When you're surrounded by so many vacant buildings, it's hard to look someone in the face and say, "You're worrying too much." I worry about these things, too, but it has become so common-place that I'm dismissing opinions based not on their validity but because, deep down, I'm sick of hearing them. In truth: I have become disenchanted.  
    
     And this is how Robocop Statue's creep in.

     I spend my day pondering questions: What could I do to change things? Could one of these vacant buildings be turned into a charming Art Space? Maybe one of the various literacy groups could use this old storefront as a centralized hub? Should I, as a concerned citizen, focus more on the rich history and architectural beauty of this area to spike tourism? Or should I convince the working people of this area to donate a portion of their hard earned--and equally hard kept--money into erecting a statue of a fictional f****** character? 
     Because the impact of that is, what, going to revitalize that area? Showcase the resilience of the people living in it? Reflect the character of a population who has continually smacked around and sold out? These areas of American industry are dying, and in a time when we should be putting our heads together and trying to figure out the things we can do to create growth, the populace screams back to build a statue of Robocop?

F*** off.

I don't live in Detroit, but I care about what something like this says to people everywhere. It's says we've given up, and we're tired of trying. So, Buffalo/America/World, I'm going to make this pledge to you now: I'm going to change things. I'm going to get involved. I'm going to find a way to bring people together, to create things that celebrate diversity & adversity; I'm attempting to take great strides to make things better, but I can't do it alone. Let's hold meetings, let's form a group, let's get together, let's bounce ideas off one another, let's make a commitment and stick to it. 

I'm not claiming to be an expert at the revitalization of an area, but I am willing to learn. And if one group can put out the call to raise $50,000 dollars for the statue of a 80's Action Hero, then what can be accomplished when, educated, like-minded individuals come together and pledge to change things for the better? Anything. And I bet it's a hell of a lot better than Robocop.

Nothing To Offer.






No comments:

Post a Comment